It's a known fact that India aspires to be one of the permanent members of United Nations Security Council (UNSC). In its quest, India has gained support from some of the major powers like Russia, France, United Kingdom (UK) and now United States of America (USA). I now present you the the facts that justifies India's position:
1) India is the second most populous country in the world, with a population of more than 1.2 billion. Country with such a huge number of citizens deserves a representation at UNSC.
2) India is one of the largest contributors of UN peace keeping forces.
3)Indian economy is one of the largest in the world (4th in terms of GDP). Indian economy is projected to grow at the rate of 8% to 9%. It's economy has shown resilience against recession and recent slow down. India is the future economic power.
4) Like other 5 permanent UNSC member, India has got nuclear arsenal. I am mentioning this fact because 'Strength respects Strength.' Unlike other countries, India has 'No first use' stand on nuclear weapons.Moreover India's record is clean when it comes to proliferation.
5) India has never waged war on other countries. The defense deals undertaken by the country is for its own defense and not for waging war on other countries.
6) India is a peace loving nation. In spite of various terrorist attacks, it has maintained restraint and not went for all out wars.
7) India is a democratic country. It is the worlds largest democracy. Every decision at the highest government level is taken democratically.
8) India is the founding member of South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) which promotes peace and mutual co-operation among the countries of South Asia.
9) India is one of the founding members of Non-Aligned Movement.